Monday, January 12, 2009

My Mamma's Big Day

You might not believe me when I tell you that my mother turned fifty today, because she is so stinkin beautiful and young lookin. But she did, and we did our best to make it a wonderful celebration for her. (I'm including videos and pictures that may not be of interest to you, but I want my brother Mark to experience our celebration since he couldn't be here.)

SO, we surprised her with her favorite german chocolate cake when she walked in the door and a few additional guests to celebrate with...



(Her sister Rhonda and her cute family! Plus G&G Risenmay joined us.)
Blowing out the candles!
After some cake and ice cream, we opened presents. Kaylie and I spent quite some time during the week contacting family, friends, and classmates and invited them to email us a note including something they love and appreciate about our mom. We received over 65 responses, which I then took and scrapbooked them onto little cards and put them in this little tin.


Mom's response was priceless... she was curious, then shocked, then glad, then cried, then got horrified for a second that all these people knew she was turning fifty, but then she spent the rest of the night reading her notes with a tissue in her hand silently weeping at all the kind words that were written for her.

We also framed her this picture that she has been wanting to put on her piano...




I don't mean to be proud, but I am. I love my mom and she is truly the best friend I could ask for. She is fun, kind, beautiful, talented, etc. etc. etc. I feel so fortunate to have her in my life. Love you mom!

8 comments:

Abbie said...

Wow can I just say that that made me cry! a little homesick ya think?!! haha babe you are amazing! your mom is lucky to have you and am lucky to have you be my friend through every single thing good and bad! I love you Mel!!

Julianne said...

Be proud! Your mom is great. Happy birthday, Laurel!

JeNnA said...

Oh melany- What a great birthday gift. I love love love that idea! I might have to use it!!! What a speical thing! And its ok to be proud! moms are the best gift that any daughter could ask for!!

Morgan said...

what a wonderful gift to give to your mother! (that little tin) you are so thoughtful! you are a wonderful family, and i can tell that you all love her very much! ok...kids crying..bye!

K. Lou said...

What an awesome birthday surprise--you girls are so thoughtful and talented--must have got that from your mom :)

Valerie said...

Awwww... you have a great family.

Adam,Emily, Paisley, Hayden, and Landon said...

oh I just love you and your mother! and your family for that matter! great job girls!

Ashley and Ethan said...

That was such a good idea of your Mel-bel. You are so talented and crafty btw... I'm jealous :) I will admit, when I watched that movie of her opening it, I just about started crying myself! I've realized that I'm becoming such an emotional person...maybe it's the hormones I DON'T KNOW? haha but I do love your mom and I love what you did for her birthday. Very clever, very tender.
Love ya, Ash