Sunday, December 5, 2010

Bop til you drop, Shake it til you break it, Move it til you Lose it, Dance Dance

This has been such a semester full of dancing and I absolutely love it. I've always loved to dance. I grew up doing tap, ballet, and gymnastics. I was never the best at it, or really even good at it, but I love it nonetheless. I have a hard time holding still when I hear a beat going on around me. Perhaps that is why Zumba speaks to my soul. haha

Kaylie and I have had so much fun going to Zumba class every week, we can't get enough of it. All inhibition has been set aside and we dance our little hearts out. No shame here. haha A lady in my class told me last week that she can't see the instructor from where she stands so she just watches me, cuz I can "really shake it." haha I'm not sure that's something to be proud of. Anyway, this class has just proved to be so much fun, and I love that I get to share it with Kaylie. We had a neat experience this week. One of the Zumba teachers in our community planned a "Zumbathon" fundraiser for a woman diagnosed with cancer. Thursday night, the gym was packed with women and men, young and old, and we did zumba for hours! All the while, people were donating money to this family in need. It probably looked funny, all of us in there trying to dance, but as I looked around, I was touched. The support this community offers is unique, and truly inspiring. I was glad to be a part of it.



I've had another kind of dancing experience this semester as I've journeyed through my Social Dance class. It was quite a stretch for me to sign up for that one. I've never done any kind of ballroom, and I don't love socializing with strangers either. haha But I was determined to leave my comfort zone, and I have! It's really been a fun class, and I love what I've learned. Yesterday was kind of our time to "prove" what we've learned. We had to be in the ballroom competition on campus. I chose to do cha-cha, cuz that's my favorite! My partner and I got through to the 3rd round before getting cut, eh good enough! ha Then last night we went to the Big Band Formal on campus. I'm sad I don't have any pictures. But as groups we had to coreograph a dance and perform it there. Then we spent the rest of the evening dancing. It was so much fun. It's fun to tap into these little interests and have the opportunity to take classes in them. What a blessing.

2 comments:

JeNnA said...

awww I love dancing too! (But I don't do it, I guess I have always wanted to be good and I lvoe watching it) and I have yet to try Zumba. It sounds like a ton of fun!

Kaylie said...

Girl, you really can shake it faster than any person I have ever seen! If there was an award for fastest shaker, it'd be yours, hands down! :)